Veterans Affairs

The Office of Veteran Affairs 

Fisk University’s programs may be approved for students to use their VA Benefits. Please check the GI Bill® Comparison Tool for the list of currently approved programs at If your program is not listed, please contact the school certifying official. Students must submit their Certificate of Eligibility to the School Certifying Official to be certified to the VA.

“GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at"


Fisk University Veterans Affairs Department mission is to provide essential resources and support to active duty, service members, veterans, reservists, Guardsmen, and family members with U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) education benefits and services as they transition and learn to navigate through the higher learning college experience.  

Benefit Programs Offered 

Fisk University with the Department of Veterans Affairs. Offers the following benefits programs: 

  • Montgomery GI Bill®-Active Duty Chapter 30
  • Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP) Chapter 32
  • Post 9’11 GI Bill® Chapter 33
  • Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance Program (DEA) Chapter 35
  • Montgomery GI Bill®-Selected Reserves (MGIB-SR), Chapter 1606
  • Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP), Chapter 1607
  • Yellow Ribbon
  • Vocational Rehabilitation
  • TN Promise

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).


Application Process 

Students who have any affiliation with the military can submit an application online The application is required to begin the process. Students who are receiving benefits for the first time under Montgomery G. I. Bill must complete and file an application VA Form 22-1990. Students who have received VA benefits at a prior institution must file a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training and fill and submit VA form 22-1995 to your School Certifying Official’s. A dependent of a veteran or a service member who requests a change in program or place of training must fill out and submit VA form 22-5495 to your School Certifying Official’s. Each student must provide a Certificate of Eligibility. Students applying for Chapter 33 in lieu of (or relinquishing) another benefit should complete a VA Form 22-1990.  

If the student is the Veteran, then a copy of his or her DD-214 or NOBE is also required. Student Previous training and experience (Joint Service Transcript) and life experience will be evaluated for credit. Life Experience credit has guidelines that students must follow. 

How to maintain Benefits  

Students receiving benefits must maintain satisfactory academic progress and attend classes regularly. Certification will not be allowed for any course(s) previously passed (D or above), unless a C or better is required. Any VA student who receives a non- punitive grade(s) (W, WP (Withdrawn Passing), and WF (Withdrawn Failing)) must be reported to VA. Students will not receive payment for non-punitive grade. 


Public Law 115-407

Any covered individual will be able to attend or participate in the course of education during the period beginning on the date on which the individual provides to the educational institution a certificate of eligibility for entitlement to educational assistance under chapter 31 or 33 (a “certificate of eligibility” can also include a “Statement of Benefits” obtained from the Department of Veterans Affairs’ (VA) website – eBenefits, or a VAF 28-1905 form for chapter 31 authorization purposes) and ending on the earlier of the following dates:

  1. The date on which payment from VA is made to the
  2. 90 days after the date the institution certified tuition
    and fees following the receipt of the certificate of

Fisk University will not impose any penalty, including the assessment of late fees, the denial of access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities, or the requirement that a covered individual borrow additional funds, on any covered individual because of the individual’s inability to meet his or her financial obligations to the institution due to the delayed disbursement funding from VA under chapter 31 or 33.

Public facing information should state that veterans receiving Chapter 31 or Chapter 33 benefits are required to notify the SCO each term either in writing or via email, that they plan to
use their education benefits for the ensuing term.

Public facing information should state that veterans receiving Chapter 31 or Chapter 33 benefits are required to verify their attendance to VA each month.